Thread: What movie did you see today?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    So, I waited and waited and resisted all temptation for weeks in order to be able to see tFA in sthlm on my visit back home, in glorious lasery IMAX 3D (the only time 3D feels like it's worth it), and then it turned out there wasn't a single ticket available that whole week and I had that scene spoiled to boot. So I finally saw it back here in this dump of a town and managed to pick the room with the worst audio.

And I still had a blast

I loved Rey and liked Finn. BB-8 was kickass. Dameron was cool but he seemed mostly to be there to inspire shippers. Snoke was suitably dark and scary. I fully expected to dislike Ren, and I did hate seeing his dumb face and hearing his dumb voice, but I found his young appearance and weakness of character to be more compelling than I expected. He was certainly a lot better than Hayden Christensen was in a similarly whiny and weak role in movies that shall not be mentioned I didn't like Maz, esp. her voice.

Obv there were some things that I wish had been done differently, and I do feel that Abrams and the actors occasionally squandered some of the tension they'd built up with weird changes of scene and pacing as well as kinda dumb remarks. Nevertheless, the movie felt hella epic and I only noticed "flaws" because the rest of the movie was so enjoyable.

By far the best thing about the movie apart from Rey and the fact that it's finally here was the soundtrack. Holy crap was it awesome.

I haven't wanted to re-watch movies at the theatre in a very long time but I kinda wanna see this one again soon. But maybe not in this useless town.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I loved Rey and liked Finn. BB-8 was kickass. Dameron was cool but he seemed mostly to be there to inspire shippers. Snoke was suitably dark and scary. I fully expected to dislike Ren, and I did hate seeing his dumb face and hearing his dumb voice, but I found his young appearance and weakness of character to be more compelling than I expected. He was certainly a lot better than Hayden Christensen was in a similarly whiny and weak role in movies that shall not be mentioned I didn't like Maz, esp. her voice.
    Spoiler:

Yes, Ren was the big disappointment for me. Started out with just the right amount of evil awesome - ominous metallic voice and mask to boot. Then you find out that the mask is just cos he's a Vader-wannabe, and when he removes the mask it turns out he's a whiny teenager.

I preferred Kristensen.

Still, Ren may still up his evil quota in the movies to come.

Snoke was suitably dark tho - agreed.

The big surprise for me however was General Hux. The Hitler-esque speech he makes before firing the planet-busting weapon was fucking great. My favourite character. I like the way he overrides Ren when speaking to Snoke too.

So far as Abrams is concerned, by and large, yep, job well done. A lot of it I felt was copy-paste from Ep IV - esp in terms of desert planets, discovery of the force, and big round planet-busting weapons. But I guess he knows what worked the first time round so didn't vary too much in theme or setting.

Rey and Fin, were okay. Rey a little bit wooden, but she'll do. Wasn't too convinced about Fin's American accent either, given that he's such a London-boy, but it didn't detract from his character.

I preferred Dameron. He seemed fallible and human, and cool with it.

Last edited by Timbuk2; 01-06-2016 at 10:34 AM.