Thread: There has been a new post since...

Default There has been a new post since...

I find this feature to be annoying, and there appears to be no way to turn it off. I am hoping this feature is not in vBulletin, however if it is, it would be nice if the same options were available there as well.

In really busy topics it becomes near impossible to post a reply, as someone will reply before you post, then someone else replied again after you chose to post anyway...which will re-invoke the feature again...and again...
    . . .

Default Re: There has been a new post since...

What? This is the best new idea ive seen in ages
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawnie
    What? This is the best new idea ive seen in ages
    Which is why Illusions is immediately against it, see

In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus
    Which is why Illusions is immediately against it, see

I'm against it because it has no opt-out option, and can lead to breaking the flow of conversation. I've already outlined why but if you need a more detailed example:

Person A makes a post.
    You go to type a reply to Person A.
    Person B posts an off-topic comment.
    You submit your reply but are informed Person B has posted. Your post does not go through.
    Person C replies to Person B's off-topic comment.
    You click the button to post anyway. You are then informed Person C has posted. Your post does not go through.
    Person B replies back to Person C.
    You click the button to post anyway. You are then informed Person B has posted. Your post does not go through. Continue this ad-nauseum until you finally catch a break in the reply chain.

. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions

In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus

. . .

Oh, that function.. I love it.
    Congratulations America

I highly doubt you'll be caught in something like that. Just don't wait 5 minutes before trying to submit your post again.

I <3 it.

I get caught in it as I use tabbed browsing. I load all the sub-forums when I come online, load all threads I'm interested in, then start reading/replying to them one at a time.

I could picture it being annoying in the future if the forum became much busier, right now its not too annoying. Should have an opt-out though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade
    I get caught in it as I use tabbed browsing. I load all the sub-forums when I come online, load all threads I'm interested in, then start reading/replying to them one at a time.
    I do the same thing, hence the problem. I've already been caught in the loop once with Nessus and EyeKhan...
    . . .

I do the same, and thats why its so useful. By the time i get to the end, there can sometimes have been 3-4 new posts, and this stops you missing it.

I see what you're saying about a busy thread might make it annoying, but doesnt it give you the option? e.g - "there have been new posts, do you want to continue?"?

Ive only had it a couple of times so i cant quite remember.
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

It gives you the option each time there is a new post. If you click continue, and there has been a new post since you received the warning, you get it again, and have to click continue again...and again...until there are no more new posts.
    . . .

When you click Continue it should continue even if there are newer posts than when it already told you there were new posts. That would solve the loop problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

But that kind of defeats the purpose, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Point
    But that kind of defeats the purpose, no?
    Unless someone decides to pull or accidentally pulls the forum equivalent of a filibuster on a thread, then no...it does not...
    . . .