Page 18 of 127 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast

Thread: covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    Coronavirus: Spanish army finds care home residents 'dead and abandoned'

Spanish soldiers helping to fight the coronavirus pandemic have found elderly patients in retirement homes abandoned and, in some cases, dead in their beds, the defence ministry has said.

Spanish prosecutors said an investigation had been launched.

The military has been brought in to help disinfect care homes in Spain, one of Europe's worst hit countries.

Meanwhile, an ice rink in Madrid is to be used as a temporary mortuary for Covid-19 victims, officials said.

On Monday Spain recorded its highest daily death toll - 462 - bringing the total to 2,182.

Spanish Defence Minister Margarita Robles told the private TV channel Telecinco that the government was "going to be strict and inflexible when dealing with the way older people are treated" in retirement homes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post

No change in London. Lockdown, what lockdown.

Tubes/trains still overcrowded this morning.

~

My bank has immediately ordered all UK staff to wfh except for critical operations following the announcement, ending the previous split-site policy.
    Been hearing reports of businesses (like sports direct) declaring themselves 'essential services' and asking employees to come in anyway, maybe that's where they're all going?
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...cussion-2020-2
    The Trump administration barred a top US disease expert from speaking freely to the public after he warned the coronavirus might be impossible to contain

See Trump is still going with the head in the sand approach.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

White House: We’re Going to Have to Let Some People Die So the Stock Market Can Live
    https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020...ths-vs-economy
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Trump has become the Mayor from Jaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...cussion-2020-2
    The Trump administration barred a top US disease expert from speaking freely to the public after he warned the coronavirus might be impossible to contain

See Trump is still going with the head in the sand approach.
    This is a weeks old story that is not true. Fauci gave a very candid interview to Science on Sunday. He is also the famous facepalming official from Fridays briefing. I doubt Trump likes him, but it might just be possible he realizes he needs him. Fauci has run NIAID since 1984, is one of the world's leading authorities on immunology and infectious disease, and frankly couldn't give a shit what Trump thinks. He's been the main official directly contradicting the president's regular falsehoods, embellishments, and misinformation.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Whoa yeah totally missed the publishing date. That alone shows that if such an order exists he sure as shit ain't toeing it.

Mixed pictures from the London Tube. Pictures of full trains but Waterloo Station etc are empty and train concourses are empty.

Screw up seems to not be that people aren't staying off the trains (vast majority are) but that Khan cancelled most of the trains so the key people still travelling are being forced into a few trains like sardines.

The train schedule (staff permitting) should be put back to normal while telling people not to take the train unless they're a key worker.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/dr-ant...hat-would-stop

""I wanted to ask you about something that I've seen transpiring over the past couple of days, especially as it relates to you. It seems like increasingly a bunch of the questions from the media are designed to create a rift between you and the president of the United States. Or at least to sort of emphasize differences of opinion in a way that creates distance between you and the president. Are you sensing that as the media continuously asks you questions about the differences you have with him?" co-host Vince Coglianese asked.

"That is really unfortunate," Dr. Fauci responded. "I would wish that would stop because we have a much bigger problem here than trying to point out differences. They're really fundamentally at the core when you look at things, they are not differences.""

Lol, gfy you credulous tool. Fauci disagrees with Trump and has disagreed with Trump—as all credible experts have—on key issues, right from the outset, because Trump is dangerously ignorant, incompetent and utterly venal. What he wants is for people to ignore Trump and to not put him in a position where the toddler-in-chief will sideline him. God, I always think you couldn't be more pathetic if you tried, and still you keep surprising me.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Relatives of mine are marooned on Aruba. They'd need to get back to Boston but failed to catch the last plane.
    How is the situation in Aruba? I've not heard anything from there, its unpleasant to be ever marooned anywhere but there are certainly worse places you could be stuck and they might be better off there than in Boston. Hope they're not stuck for long.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Been hearing reports of businesses (like sports direct) declaring themselves 'essential services' and asking employees to come in anyway, maybe that's where they're all going?
    Most companies did the right thing, a few acted like idiots faced a humungous backlash (WH Smiths tried the same stunt) and have had to realise they're not essential and close.

Passenger numbers today are down 88% (source: TfL)

"I wanted to ask you about something that I've seen transpiring over the past couple of days, especially as it relates to you. It seems like increasingly a bunch of the questions from the media are designed to create a rift between you and Dear Leader. Or at least to sort of emphasize differences of opinion in a way that creates distance between you and Dear Leader. Are you sensing that as the media continuously asks you questions about the differences you have with him?" co-host Ri Chun-hee asked.

"That is really unfortunate," O Chun Bok responded. "I would wish that would stop because we have a much bigger problem here than trying to point out differences. They're really fundamentally at the core when you look at things, they are not differences."

See the whole interview on KCTV.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    How is the situation in Aruba? I've not heard anything from there, its unpleasant to be ever marooned anywhere but there are certainly worse places you could be stuck and they might be better off there than in Boston. Hope they're not stuck for long.
    Well, they managed to get places on a flight out. On April, 1st, though.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

One unexpected advantage of Covid-19 delaying the Olympics: Now I know there is someone named - and I swear this is true - Dick Pound.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Click to view the full version

USA is #1!

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    If you think again you know it's not what you want.
    Of course it's not. But it's impossible to miss the attitude that certain people should just die, so the economy can get going again.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Of course it's not. But it's impossible to miss the attitude that certain people should just die, so the economy can get going again.
    You'd think that Trump might have an issue with elderly New Yorkers being sacrificed. Turns out no he's happy to take one for the team

Prince Charles tests positive. God Save the Queen?

The spike in New Orleans, LA is disturbing. As are the fundamental Christians laying on hands and "praying away" the virus. Yeah, let's pack churches by Easter. Never mind that even the Pope cancelled Easter Mass.

No, the wealthy won't be sacrificed, elderly or not. They have their own private physicians (and ventilators) and access to testing. But the first responders won't be able to escape the fallout, police and military included, and they'll stress *all* healthcare systems.

I haven't heard much about India, but that scenario could spiral into a nightmare with millions of deaths.

Things rapidly getting worse in the south while a surprising number of healthcare staff here in the north are just not taking this seriously. Two positive patients admitted to a general internal medicine ward with no particular precautions taken until 24h later because someone decided it was "unlikely" that they'd be positive. Staff going on about how they intend to continue hanging out in crowded gyms and pools because they "believe in washing hands", and their kids with coughs don't need to be isolated at home so they're free to play with ill family members. Everyone's been so focused on ICU beds and PPE, I'm not sure they've sorted out the necessary supply of medications like propofol and fentanyl, stocks of which are going to be drained rapidly even with support from other hospitals (also a concern in NYC), esp. with epidemics spiraling out of control in large parts of the western world. My sister wants to come back home for a spell, being alone wfh in DC is not fun right now, but she doesn't wanna be stuck here or risk infecting our mother.

Yeah, "washing hands" isn't enough. The only thing that will stop the person-to-person spread is strict social-distancing. That means no gyms, or even playing one-on-one basketball. The US Senate shouldn't act like they're immune (see Rand Paul)....and it's disturbing to hear that medical staff in Sweden aren't taking this seriously, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Things rapidly getting worse in the south while a surprising number of healthcare staff here in the north are just not taking this seriously. Two positive patients admitted to a general internal medicine ward with no particular precautions taken until 24h later because someone decided it was "unlikely" that they'd be positive. Staff going on about how they intend to continue hanging out in crowded gyms and pools because they "believe in washing hands", and their kids with coughs don't need to be isolated at home so they're free to play with ill family members. Everyone's been so focused on ICU beds and PPE, I'm not sure they've sorted out the necessary supply of medications like propofol and fentanyl, stocks of which are going to be drained rapidly even with support from other hospitals (also a concern in NYC), esp. with epidemics spiraling out of control in large parts of the western world. My sister wants to come back home for a spell, being alone wfh in DC is not fun right now, but she doesn't wanna be stuck here or risk infecting our mother.
    I am not surprised in the least. Two weeks ago, days because we call got splattered by the shit that had been hitting the fan I had an appointment at the municipal health service. They are kind of the front workers when it comes to testing etc. I had to point out to the doctor that we're not shaking hands these days. And when I walked out I overheard a conversation that boiled down to; 'ridiculous over reaction to what's basically a flu'.
    Congratulations America

It's pretty sad when even medical professionals don't take this pandemic seriously.

Over nine thousand dollars to take a test the government won't allow to be processed.
    https://www.comicsands.com/walking-d...645575867.html

How are we still this fucked?

The Tale of Two Economies. It's not just a reality TV show based on an old book.

edit: making matters worse, the US using its power to command & control the production and distribution of life-saving PPE and ventilators (or future vaccinations) for its own use.....leaves the rest of the world at higher risk. We already have states out-bidding one another and driving up costs. Gee, what could go wrong there?
    Last edited by GGT; 03-25-2020 at 09:51 PM.

And we have a new winner. Over $900 for the test and almost $35000 for treatment