Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 50

Thread: Georgia is so much more awesome than your states

  1. #1

    Default Georgia is so much more awesome than your states

    Her opponents in the GOP gubernatorial primary accuse her of lying about the check, and changing her position on gay issues. Handel denies it.

    Now that she's seeking GOP votes statewide in the gubernatorial primary, Handel has volunteered little about her position on gay issues. 11 Alive's Doug Richards questioned Handel July 14 on board her campaign bus as she traveled from Atlanta to Monroe.


    Handel: (The Log Cabin Republican check is) certainly not a membership. And I don't think going to an event constitutes membership, nor does it constitute agreeing with everything they have to say either.

    Richards: Why did you do that?

    A: Well, when you're out campaigning -- remember, I was campaigning for Fulton County Commission -- so I think it was important for me to speak to all the various Republican groups. Let's remember a lot of Republicans have spoken to the Log Cabin organization, from, I think (Senator Johnny) Isakson has spoken, Sonny Perdue has spoken. It was part of going out and trying to run a comprehensive campaign. And the key, I think, was to make sure that I was doing the outreach with folks. And it was better to not have folks be adversarial against me, and so that was the whole point of it.

    Q: You said there were issues where you may have agreed and disagreed on. What were the issues you agreed with them on?

    A: From taxes and cutting the spending at Fulton County and candidly, the organization was a good ally on those types of fiscal issues.

    Q: You have said that you are -- you're against gay marriage, right?

    A: Mm hm. Absolutely. Marriage is between one man and one woman. And I've been very very clear about that. And the record is clear about any of the other issues like domestic partner benefits or anything like that. In fact in Fulton, I voted no on domestic partner benefits.

    Q: Are you against civil unions for gays?

    A: Yes. I think that's not an issue that has come forward in Georgia. We have the constitutional amendment against gay marriage, and I don't want to see any taxpayer funding going toward benefits etcetera for a couple that is not married. In our state and for me, marriage is for one man and one woman.

    Q: Why is that?

    A: Why is marriage between one man and one woman? (Laughs). Are you serious?

    Q: Yes. Well why -- do you view committed gay relationships as being less legitimate than committed heterosexual relationships?

    A: As a Christian, I view relationships and marriage as being between a man and a woman.

    Q: But what about the legitimacy of the relationship? Do you have any gay friends? Do you know gay couples?

    A: Of course I do. Are we going to spend our whole day talking on this issue?

    Q: I want to know how you feel about this.

    A: I've been very clear. And you know, as a Christian, marriage is between a man and a woman. I do not think that gay relationships are -- they are not what God intended. And that's just my viewpoint on it. Others might disagree with that. But I would also hope that if you look at what is happening in our state, we've got issues we need to be focused on in Georgia. We have a constitutional amendment against gay marriage. And it's something that I supported wholeheartedly. We have that, and let's get dealing with the other issues that we also need to deal with in Georgia. And the press can help with that. (Laughs).

    Q: Frequently, folks in the legislature kind of threaten to -- there are always rumblings in the legislature that they may outlaw gay adoptions. You're against gay adoption.

    A: I am against gay adoption. But remember -- I mean, if there is legislation on that, certainly I will follow that and look at it. But in the end, ultimately courts are going to be the ones to have to make the decision on that and it's always in the best interests of the child. Do I think that gay parents is in the best interest of the child? No. But we do have our court system that deals with many and most of those issues.

    Q: Would you favor outlawing gay adoptions?

    A: Yeah, I would consider that, absolutely.

    Q: Do you know any gay couples with children?

    A: Not that I'm aware of.

    Q: So you think gay couples are less qualified to function as parents than straight couples?

    A: I think that for a child to be in a household -- in a family in a household with a situation where the parents are not married, as in one man and one woman, is not the best household for a child.

    Q: Is it better or worse than a single parent household?

    A: Doug, I'm really trying to be straightforward with you but I'm not going to debate all the nuances. I've made it abundantly clear that I think that marriage is between a man and a woman. And that's what I believe, and I don't know what more you would like me to add to that.

    Q: I guess I want to know why you think gay parents aren't as legitimate as heterosexual parents.

    A: Because I don't.

    Q: (Pause) Well, I realize that.

    A: Well, Doug, we're not going to spend the whole day discussing this issue. And you know, it 's really kind of disappointing -- we invited you on this (leg of the bus trip).

    Q: I know.

    A: So we're going to need to move on.
    http://www.11alive.com/news/local/st...46501&catid=40

    And this cunt is a fucking frontrunner.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

  2. #2
    Q: I guess I want to know why you think gay parents aren't as legitimate as heterosexual parents.

    A: Because I don't.
    GOGOGO GOP #1!!!

  3. #3
    Is your district really that anti-gay? It's kinda stunning. I mean she must have written the check for a reason...

  4. #4
    She's running for governor.

    And yes, sadly, that attitude is still quite prevalent over much of the state.


    edit: I don't think she'll get the Republican nomination - that will probably be John Oxendine.

    The Democratic party will nominate Roy Barnes (the former governor).
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

  5. #5
    He doesn't have gay issues on his agenda, but that doesn't mean he is hostile to gay issues...Oxendine that is. Or does he really not care and is probably using this as a wedge issue?

  6. #6
    Well, he is against same sex marriage and other gay issues, but he is certainly trying to use this as a wedge issue. Deal (he's the one with the hysterical immigration ad I put in the happy thread) started the Handel-bashing and Oxendine jumped right in. This is because Handel was endorsed by Sarah Palin - something that apparently a lot of Republicans see as a good thing and not as nails in her coffin.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

  7. #7
    Gah, Georgia. I'm not one for state patriotism in general, but if I were from Georgia I'm not sure I'd tell people!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    Gah, Georgia. I'm not one for state patriotism in general, but if I were from Georgia I'm not sure I'd tell people!
    Pshht, you openly admit to following basket ball and other sports
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

  9. #9

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Pshht, you openly admit to following basket ball and other sports
    But in his little world this is what men do!
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    483
    90% of Georgia's population are idiots.
    Atlanta is much better though, it has the third highest LGBT population of any city in the country, so at least that's something.
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABP...003432941.html
    I enjoy blank walls.

  12. #12
    The latest InsiderAdvantage/WSB poll in Georgia’s Republican race for governor shows Karen Handel in the lead – and John Oxendine, who was the perceived front-runner for months, in third place.

    Voters were asked if the election to determine the Republican nominee for Governor of Georgia were held today, which candidate would they vote for?

    Handel came out on top with 24 percent of those polled saying they would vote for her. On Monday, former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin endorsed Handel.

    Nathan Deal came in second with 16 percent, followed closely by Oxendine with 15 percent and Johnson with 13 percent.

    Ray McBerry and Otis Putnam rounded out the poll with 3 percent and 1 percent, respectively.

    728 Likely Republican Voters

    Karen Handel: 24 percent

    Nathan Deal: 16 percent

    John Oxendine: 15 percent

    Eric Johnson: 13 percent

    Ray McBerry: 3 percent

    Otis Putnam: 1 percent

    Undecided: 22 percent

    Margin of Error +- 3.5 percent
    http://www.wsbtv.com/politics/24269998/detail.html

    It's time I make up my mind about where to escape to.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

  13. #13
    Texas isn't even that bad with respect to blatant homophobia in politics. In fact, the Democratic candidate for governor, who has a relatively positive stance on LGBT issues, stands a very good chance of being elected this November.

    In other words, come to Austin and hang out with me.
    Your search had no results.

  14. #14
    youtube of the video in the OP link

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Pshht, you openly admit to following basket ball and other sports
    And that's not very Georgia. Georgia is football and NASCAR country. I am proud not to be a Georgia-type male.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    And that's not very Georgia. Georgia is football and NASCAR country. I am proud not to be a Georgia-type male.
    You don't get things, do you
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

  17. #17
    A Fulton County judge tossed an attempt by two insurance companies that sought to block an ethics investigation into contributions to Republican gubernatorial hopeful John Oxendine.

    Judge Kimberly Esmond Adams said in her ruling Friday that the
    commission has the power to "find probable cause to initiate
    hearings and similarly to issue subpoenas in connection with its
    investigation of public violations."

    The two insurance companies are under investigation for
    funneling money to Oxendine's campaign through 10 Alabama-based political action committees.

    Oxendine is the state's insurance commissioner and is barred
    from taking money directly from companies he regulates. He has
    denied wrongdoing and has returned the money.
    Tuesday will be the first, big test at the polls of the power of Georgia's Tea Party movement, born last year as part of the backlash against the Obama Administration's policies.

    And as the weekend before the July 20 Primary Election began, candidates for Governor and Congress and the State Legislature and other offices clamored for Tea Party votes in Cobb County.

    "It's obvious these candidates know what kind of impact we can have," said Mike Williams, a board member of the Georgia Tea Party.

    He pointed toward the crowds of candidates and voters mingling, talking, shaking hands at the event organized by the Georgia Tea Party.

    "This many candidates came a-runnin'. We filled up the entire exhibit hall."

    Williams believes that the candidates' perception right now, particularly Republican candidates, is -- they ignore Tea Party power at their peril.

    So late Friday afternoon, inside the steambath of an exhibition hall at Jim Miller Park in Cobb County, four of the GOP candidates for Governor -- Jeff Chapman, Nathan Deal, Karen Handel and John Oxendine -- listened, cajoled, and gave the stickers off their shirts to try to identify with voters attracted to the Tea Party meet-and-greet.

    Some Democrats ventured into this Tea Party territory, as well.

    Other candidates sent surrogates to stand at tables full of brochures.

    Just two years ago, the soon-to-be Democratic nominee for President, Barack Obama, was awakening a sleeping giant of an electorate demanding change.

    And now, just a few days before Georgia's primary election, Barry and Kristin Smith of Smyrna brought their children to witness part of what they believe is underway -- another sleeping giant waking up demanding another kind of change.

    Smaller, more efficient government. Lower taxes.

    "There's a lot of people who are being united for the first time, they've just been kind of complacent for too long, especially newer, younger voters," said Kristin Smith. "I think there's power in numbers."

    "The Tea Party, in particular, I think -- it's a good way to change America," said Barry Smith.

    Georgia's Tea Party movement has matured in a year and a half, to the point where it contains competing factions.

    And its collective power to affect change at the polls may finally be fully known not on Tuesday, but in November, according to Rep. Phil Gingrey, (R) GA 11th District, who is running unopposed this year, and attended the Tea Party event to talk with constituents and campaign for other Republicans.

    "People are really disgusted, but they're mainly disgusted with the party in power," Gingrey said. "And I think there's going to be a sea change in the Congress come November 2nd."

    Mike Williams of the Georgia Tea Party said more and more voters are moving away from party labels, "And many of them are saying, 'I support the Constitution,'" he said.

    "We do not believe the Constitution is a fluid, living document. We believe that it was written the way it was for a reason," and, he said, it's that the U.S. should be organized with "the strongest government being at the local level.... Government is always the most responsive when it's right down to the street from where you live."
    emphasis is mine, of course

    This is so entertaining I can hardly stand it. Democrats pandering to the Tea Party? Legitimize ignorance for fun and profit!
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    You don't get things, do you
    Autistic, you think?

  19. #19
    Nathan Deal has won the second Republican runoff spot in the race for governor.

    The former congressman from Gainesville will face former Secretary of State Karen Handel in an Aug. 10 runoff for the Republican nomination.

    With 80 percent of precincts reporting, unofficial returns show Handel–buoyed by the backing of former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin– had 33 percent of the vote to Deal's 24 percent.

    They were among seven Republicans vying for their party's nomination. A runoff is needed if no candidate wins 50 percent plus one vote.

    Handel shot to the top of a recent poll after receiving support from Palin, who vouched for her conservative credentials.

    Deal had the backing of former U.S. House Speaker Newt Gingrich.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    483
    Why in the world can't we get a Democrat like Jimmy Carter elected anymore?
    At least he gave a **** about civil rights and urban issues.
    I enjoy blank walls.

  21. #21
    And be the most incompetent president when it comes to managing the economy or foreign policy in half a century? And by "urban issues", do you mean creating gigantic lines for gas?
    Hope is the denial of reality

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    And be the most incompetent president when it comes to managing the economy or foreign policy in half a century?
    It's unfair to compare every president to Reagan who single-handedly tore down the Berlin wall and killed Stalin lurking behind it, mostly because there's only one Berlin wall and only one Stalin to strangle.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

  23. #23
    Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    And be the most incompetent president when it comes to managing the economy or foreign policy in half a century? And by "urban issues", do you mean creating gigantic lines for gas?
    Gas lines were OPEC's fault, remember?

    Besides, I was talking about his term as Governor, silly.
    Whatever you thought about his term as president is irrelevant.
    I enjoy blank walls.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermarioman View Post
    Gas lines were OPEC's fault, remember?

    Besides, I was talking about his term as Governor, silly.
    Whatever you thought about his term as president is irrelevant.
    Erm, no they weren't. Gas lines were a consequence of price ceilings imposed by Carter.

    I think the fact that he's been the worst American president since Hoover is pretty relevant.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Erm, no they weren't. Gas lines were a consequence of price ceilings imposed by Carter.

    I think the fact that he's been the worst American since Hoover is pretty relevant.
    Ostensibly the Son of Sam or the Unabomber have been worse Americans. Although neither had the power to initiate a global thermo-nuclear exchange!

    Who was that guy who liked to kidnap young boys, sodomize them and famously shove glass rods up their urethras and then break them? Was he a worse American that Carter?
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

  26. #26
    Actually, how should failing as an American be defined? Convicted of treason? Failing to shop at Wal-Mart, or not watching HBO? Are there studies? Inquiring minds!
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Ostensibly the Son of Sam or the Unabomber have been worse Americans. Although neither had the power to initiate a global thermo-nuclear exchange!

    Who was that guy who liked to kidnap young boys, sodomize them and famously shove glass rods up their urethras and then break them? Was he a worse American that Carter?
    Pretty sure all of them combined screwed fewer Americans than Carter did.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Pretty sure all of them combined screwed fewer Americans than Carter did.
    It's always quantity with you science types
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

  29. #29
    Senior Member Evidently Supermarioman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Erm, no they weren't. Gas lines were a consequence of price ceilings imposed by Carter.

    I think the fact that he's been the worst American since Hoover is pretty relevant.
    No, it's not relevant.
    Again, I'm talking about his term as Governor, and you've said nothing about it.
    Instead, you hoist your political standard up for all to see, as usual.
    I enjoy blank walls.

  30. #30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •