Thread: Guns vs. Federalism

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Because that means "the process" is more difficult than you presume

And for the most part, gun legislation/regulation is mostly about "the process"

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Because that means "the process" is more difficult than you presume

And for the most part, gun legislation/regulation is mostly about "the process"
    I am not following. Imperfect knowledge of a process I only have tangential knowledge and experience with is completely unrelated to the difficulty of that process. I also have only a cursory knowledge of how license, registration, and insurance statuses are checked across state lines, but I somehow doubt they are a major headache for police officers.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    I am not following. Imperfect knowledge of a process I only have tangential knowledge and experience with is completely unrelated to the difficulty of that process. I also have only a cursory knowledge of how license, registration, and insurance statuses are checked across state lines, but I somehow doubt they are a major headache for police officers.
    As Fuzzy outlined, there is no national standard, and no national data base. That means police departments can't possibly do what you think (ie, they don't have a way to validate licenses across state lines).

As Fuzzy outlined, there is no national standard, and no national data base. That means police departments can't possibly do what you think (ie, they don't have a way to validate licenses across state lines).
    You are wrong. They can and do.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    You are wrong. They can and do.
    Please explain why you're comfortable with state policies, when there's no coordination or continuity between states or across state lines.

Please explain why you're comfortable with state policies, when there's no coordination or continuity between states or across state lines.
    I don't know how to have this conversation. You are wrong about the basic underlying facts, and seemingly unwilling or unable to recognize this. Police can and do check the validity of carry permits across state lines. There is coordination between police agencies in different states. Reciprocity, (arranged by the states not the federal government) currently allows for a degree of continuity, even if there may be slight variances in the specifics - see shall inform provisions. The carry permit granted to me by my state is currently recognized by a majority of states, without federal interference.

Please explain why you are so comfortable being dogmatic about a topic you have little to no experience with or understanding of.
    Last edited by Enoch the Red; 12-18-2017 at 12:30 PM.