Today, for the first time, I realised that statistical tests for significance--and the practice of having p < 0.05 as a cutoff line for significance--should be treated like any other test I may use in medicine. In other words, I have to consider not only the merits of the test itself, but also the characteristics of the things to which I apply it.
The usefulness of a diagnostic test for a disease depends to a great extent on the number of people who have the disease in the tested population: if I test 1000 people, of whom only 5 have the disease for which I'm looking, then even a good test will give me some false alarms.
This point is hammered home in med-schools here, and is part of the rationale behind the restrictive use of tests in many situations. However, for some reason, it's rarely (if ever) brought up in discussions of how to evaluate medical studies--people conducting (or making use of) medical research frequently behave as if p-values under 0.05 are assurances of true and significant relationships. Which is dangerous if you're applying your significance tests to 1000 relationships,only 100 of which are significant.
I'm quite thrilled by thisI've read articles about this before, and I've heard people talk about the problems with conducting "fishing expeditions" in research, but it's never fallen into place like this
there's something about maths and stat that just makes my brain shut down.
What's YOUR most recent aha-moment?? Ziggy, don't post "Take On Me"![]()


Reply With Quote
