Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 88

Thread: A Letter From God

  1. #1

    Default A Letter From God

    As interpreted by Sarah Palin:



    To the Sisters, Brother, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends of Trig Paxson Van Palin (or whatever you end up naming him!):

    I am blessing you with this surprise baby because I only want the best for you. I've heard your prayers that this baby will be happy and healthy, and I've answered them because I only want the best for you!

    I heard your heart when you hinted that another boy would fit best in the Palin family, to round it out and complete that starting five line-up.

    Though another girl would be so nice, you didn't think you could ask for what you REALLY wanted, but I knew, so I gave you a boy because I only want the best for you!

    Then, I put the idea in your hearts that his name should be 'Trig', because it's so fitting, with two Norse meanings: "True" and "Brave Victory". You also have a Bristol Bay relative with that name, so I knew it would be best for you!

    Then, I let Trig's mom have an exceptionally comfortable pregnancy so she could enjoy every minute of it, and I even seemed to rush it along so she could wait until near the end to surprise you with the news - that way Piper wouldn't have so long to wait and count down so many days - just like Christmastime when you have to wait, impatiently, for that special day to finally open your gift? (Or the way the Palmas look forward to birthday celebrations that go on for three, four days_ you all really like cake.) I know you, I knew you'd be better off with just a short time to wait!

    Then, finally, I let Trig's mom and dad find out before he was born that this little boy will truly be a GIFT. They were told in early tests that Trig may provide more challenges, and more joy, than what they ever may have imagined or ever asked for.

    At first the news seemed unreal and sad and confusing. But I gave Trig's mom and dad lots of time to think about it because they needed lots of time to understand that everything will be OK, in fact, everything will be great, because I only want the best for you!

    I've given Trig's mom and dad peace and joy as they wait to meet their new son. I gave them a happy anticipation because they asked me for that.

    I'll give all of you the same happy anticipation and strength to deal with Trig's challenges, but I won't impose on you... I just need to know you want to receive my offer to be with all of you and help you everyday to make Trig's life a great one.

    This new person in your life can help everyone put things in perspective and bind us together and get everyone focused on what really matters.

    The baby will expand your world and let you see and feel things you haven't experienced yet. He'll show you what "true, brave victory" really means as those who love him will think less about self and focus less on what the world tells you is "normal" or "perfect°.

    You will grow and be blessed with greater understanding that will he born along with Trig.Trig will be his dad's little buddy and he'll wear Carhartts while he learns to tinker in the garage. He'll love to be read to, he'll want to play goalie, and he'll steal his mom's heart just like Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper did.

    And Trig will be the cuddly, innocent, mischievous, dependent little brother that his siblings have been waiting for_in fact Trig will - in some diagnostic ways - always be a mischievous, dependent little brother, because I created him a bit different than a lot of babies born into this world today.

    Every child is created special, with awesome purpose and amazing potential. Children are the most precious and promising ingredient in this mixed up world you live in down there on earth. Trig is no different, except he has one extra chromosome. Doctors call it "Down's Syndrome", and Downs kids have challenges, but can bring you much delight and more love than you can ever imagine! Just wait and see, let me prove this, because I only want the best for you!

    Some of the rest of the world may not want him, but take comfort in that because the world will not compete for him. Take care of him and he will always be yours!

    Trig's mom and dad don't want people to focus on the baby's extra chromosome. They're human, so they haven't known how to explain this to people who are so caring and are interested in this new little Alaskan. Sarah and Todd want people to share in the joy of this gift I'm giving to the Palin family, and the greater Alaska family.

    Many people won't understand_ and I understand that. Some will think Trig should not be allowed to be born because they fear a Downs child won't be considered "perfect" in your world. (But tell me, what do you earthlings consider "perfect" or even "normal" anyway? Have you peeked down any grocery store isle, or school hallway, or into your office lunchroom lately? Or considered the odd celebrities you celebrate as "perfect" on t.v.? Have you noticed I make 'em all shapes and sizes? Believe me, there is no "perfect"!)

    Many people will express sympathy, but you don't want or need that, because Trig will be a joy. You will have to trust me on this.

    I know it will take time to grasp this and come to accept that I only want the best for you, and I only give my best. Remember though: "My ways are not your ways, my thoughts are not your thoughts- for as the heavens are higher than the earth, my ways are higher than yours!"

    I wrote that all down for you in the Good Book! Look it up! You claim that you believe me - now it's time to live out that belief!

    Please look to me as this new challenge and chapter of life unfolds in front of you. I promise to equip you. I won't give you anything you can't handle. I am answering your prayers. Trig can't wait to meet you. I'm giving you ONLY THE BEST!

    Love,
    Trig's Creator, Your Heavenly Father
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/wash...-syndrome.html

  2. #2
    I don't understand, did she write this?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

  3. #3
    From the link:


    It was initially written, obviously not for publication, in April of 2008 just a few days before
    the arrival of her fifth child, Trig, who was born with Down syndrome. In her email Palin imagines a letter from God to the family about to launch on its challenging child-rearing experience together.

  4. #4
    Ah, I see. It's a pretty sweet letter, and I'm not sure why it's in D&D!
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Ah, I see. It's a pretty sweet letter, and I'm not sure why it's in D&D!
    Because she is considered an important and influential political figure in the US. Enough there to Debate and Discuss.

    Should I have put this in General Chat instead? Or in First Republican Debate---even though Palin wasn't present in that debate?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Because she is considered an important and influential political figure in the US. Enough there to Debate and Discuss.
    No I mean what's there to debate and discuss about a sweet letter she wrote about her son with down's syndrome? Out of curiosity
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    No I mean what's there to debate and discuss about a sweet letter she wrote about her son with down's syndrome? Out of curiosity
    It's a part of the on-going increase of stupidity combined with insanity that's dominating US politics.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    No I mean what's there to debate and discuss about a sweet letter she wrote about her son with down's syndrome? Out of curiosity
    She's ardently pro-life, and wants to legislate her personal and religious ideals. Regardless of how "sweet" you found her letter, surely you can read between the lines.

  9. #9
    What's there to read between the lines? This was a private letter in which she expressed her private views on/feelings about her son. I know she's pro-life.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    What's there to read between the lines? This was a private letter in which she expressed her private views on/feelings about her son. I know she's pro-life.
    So private that she sent e-mails knowing full well the public would eventually read them. Right.

    You don't know much about US politicking so you get a free pass, minx.

  11. #11
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

  12. #12
    I just don't understand why you people are rummaging through people's emails and posting them online and having various "discussions" about them like it's 1. important and 2. your business. I have to admit, I think it's in poor taste. I'm not sure why you'd endorse such tasteless behaviour, although perhaps I'm wrong to assume that you do. I sometimes forget that gun-toting bible-thumping government-hating ignorant rednecks are people too, so I suppose this email did me an important service by reminding me of that truth.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

  13. #13
    I don't understand. Are you saying a hacker from '08 wrote her Letter to God?

  14. #14
    No I was just wondering if the only reason thousands of her e-mails are being pored over by journalists etc. is because some dumbfuck hacker stole them and released them to the public.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

  15. #15
    Thousands of her e-mails were recently released as part of our Freedom of Information Act, or the Sunshine Act. Ms. Palin wrote these things while acting Governor of the great state of Alaska.

  16. #16
    And this was the most "debate-worthy" email thus procured? well that's a victory for ms. palin
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    And this was the most "debate-worthy" email thus procured? well that's a victory for ms. palin
    ok, that's how you see it as a Swedish observer.

    As I see it, as an American voter, this is early 2012 campaigning for legislating extreme-right social conservatism. Advanced preparation for national defunding of Planned Parenthood, orchestrating a national anti-abortion movement, using "Letters from God" to justify laws making women victims of their pregnancies/bodies.

    Just sounds more "Christian" when they try to ban abortions by proxy, using pro-life propaganda and "Letters from God" to appeal to voters. But they also won't fund reproductive health and birth control with public tax dollars, let alone "welfare" in the form of food aid for women-infants-children (WIC). Great pro-life ethic, huh.


  18. #18
    Yeah or this has something to do with a woman who has a son with Down's syndrome
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    ok, that's how you see it as a Swedish observer.

    As I see it, as an American voter, this is early 2012 campaigning for legislating extreme-right social conservatism. Advanced preparation for national defunding of Planned Parenthood, orchestrating a national anti-abortion movement, using "Letters from God" to justify laws making women victims of their pregnancies/bodies.

    Just sounds more "Christian" when they try to ban abortions by proxy, using pro-life propaganda and "Letters from God" to appeal to voters. But they also won't fund reproductive health and birth control with public tax dollars, let alone "welfare" in the form of food aid for women-infants-children (WIC). Great pro-life ethic, huh.

    Huh? She wrote that years ago, and she isn't the one that sought to release these emails. They were released as the result of independent and opposition groups seeking access from as far back as the 2008 campaign. If these help any GOP 2012 campaigning well "way to go, Dems. You managed to shoot yourselves in the foot."
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

  20. #20
    No no she wrote it years ago anticipating its release to the public with the intention of using it to win the election and ban abortion.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

  21. #21
    It's more that this letter provides yet another glimpse of the insane motivations driving this bizarre character, although she seems to be quite happy to display her warped Weltanschauung with anyone willing to pay for the privilege.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

  22. #22
    The basic message is that everything happens for a reason, God has a plan for me, this will be difficult but it'll probably be all right and I'll have to remember to be grateful for the good things. No woman no cry. This isn't insanity, it's the human need for comfort and meaning. A delusion shared by most of the world isn't a delusion in any meaningful sense, even if it's wrong. I'm in love. Am I crazy? I suppose this letter is another illustration of her religiosity, and the picture it paints is a less distasteful one than the one she herself has painted through her various interviews etc. I disagree with her beliefs about meaning and God and ineffable plans etc. However, I think I can sorta grok what she's doing for herself and her family in the letter.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

  23. #23
    I understand that you want to personally hug every human being now alive, but this particular human holds reprehensible views and is maybe in a position to further their realization. That she's able to process her personal tragedies such as they are is nice for her, but I doubt her victims would find much comfort in that.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

  24. #24
    Do any of us here NOT hold reprehensible beliefs? We need to compartmentalise. I have no problems with slamming her public statements about dangerous changes she wants to make to her country.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

  25. #25
    Personally I find the thinking processes of the right-wing Evangelicals somewhat interesting, which makes this little therapy letter interesting as well. I wouldn't argue this was ever intended as anything other than that, like you so subtly hinted earlier.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    I understand that you want to personally hug every human being now alive, but this particular human holds reprehensible views and is maybe in a position to further their realization. That she's able to process her personal tragedies such as they are is nice for her, but I doubt her victims would find much comfort in that.
    If Nessie considers it reprehensible, then by sweet baby Cthulhu it must be reprehensible.

    And Jesus Christ GGT, you think that your theory is more plausible then the fact that Sarah Palin may in fact be human, and indeed might have feelings and emotions that exist beyond the known high everyone gets shooting wolves from helicopters? That's a pretty bold and jaded statement, especially coming from someone who was apparently so concerned with the rights and privacy of Representative Weiner.

    I mean, no mother, (if in fact she is one) could ever show love for such a damaged and disgusting piece of hardware, could she?

  27. #27
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

    I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

  28. #28
    I can't help reading that thing in the voice of a sterotypical gay best friend from a rom-com

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    It's a part of the on-going increase of stupidity combined with insanity that's dominating US politics.
    What specifically do you consider to be insane?
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    If Nessie considers it reprehensible, then by sweet baby Cthulhu it must be reprehensible.

    And Jesus Christ GGT, you think that your theory is more plausible then the fact that Sarah Palin may in fact be human, and indeed might have feelings and emotions that exist beyond the known high everyone gets shooting wolves from helicopters? That's a pretty bold and jaded statement, especially coming from someone who was apparently so concerned with the rights and privacy of Representative Weiner.

    I mean, no mother, (if in fact she is one) could ever show love for such a damaged and disgusting piece of hardware, could she?
    Jaded? Probably. I'm not doubting she loves her children, Downs or not. She made her choice, but wants to take away other women's private choices. The underlying pro-life Christian conservatives admit they want to ban abortion or repeal Roe v Wade. These types of emotional and religious missives are part of their strategy, including bills introduced to define Life beginning at conception, replacing the term fetus with person, etc.

    She's also no better than other politicians who put their kids 'on stage' like props, parade them around for photo-ops, then complain about wanting privacy for their family.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •