Thread: Guns vs. Federalism

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    The first problem that came to my mind is that there is no national database or registry for these permits which means local police will have an aggravating time just checking out whether someone actually does have a legitimate permit or not. Some states make it a matter of public record, others do not. Finding the right agency to contact is a burden just by itself. And then, some states don't even maintain a database for their own permits. You might as well just legislate that a permit is not required for concealed carry in any of the 50 states.
    I actually don't think this is as technically difficult a process as you do. My current permit is reciprocated by a majority of the states, and police there already have a way of identifying whether or not it is valid. As far as I know l, (I'll try and remember to ask one of my friends in law enforcement to be sure) validating it is pretty much a call to dispatch away.
    Last edited by Enoch the Red; 12-07-2017 at 02:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    As far as I know l, (I'll try and remember to ask one of my friends in law enforcement to be sure) validating it is pretty much a call to dispatch away.
    It looks like it varies on the state of the CCW holder. For the police officer that I've spoken to, when he runs the DL# it will return whether or not the have a valid carry permit. For states that it does not show up on, it would require a call to dispatch who would handle the validation process.